Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ahead of me...

Spring 06 has begun and its been rolling about a week. Its my final semester at Upper Iowa. What happens next is what I have been dreaming about for the past 4 years, graduation! I cant bring my self to adequately describe how nearing this date feels. However, I can assure you its much better than the first time I had… ok lets leave it there.. :) (insert what ever word that comes to mind and let your lovely imagination run as wild as it wants)

Even though the four years have passed by within a blink of an eye (and I don’t just mean it for empty rhetoric), looking forward to the near short term reminds me that the “experience” is not yet over. Yes ladies and gentlemen, 3 more lecturers from my esteemed university will take their shots at deducting what ever they can from that beautiful cgpa of 4.0 that I had 4 years ago!

There’s issues and ethics in the helping profession, intercultural communication, and making movies! For those of you who are wondering what ever happened to my special project (the research with refugees), well I will not be doing that one with Uni. There seems to be too many fine lines (red tape is a better word) to cross and it seems like I could never really make ERB (ethics review board) happy without blatantly changing my main variable. Hence, I now plan to carry out the same research project with the aid of an NGO (hopefully one that would be interested in research in the refugee population). Gut instinct tells me that I will be working on this right after graduation.

I am a tutor assistant to abnormal psych and a sort of “general research tutor who gets to take on challenging research topics” for all research methods classes according to the course lecturer. Apparently, this same course lecturer had forewarned the students of research methods to stay away from me if they did not want to do “complicated” research. Wow.. well.. my shameless 4th year-ness shall take that as a total compliment. The experiences with the abnormal psych class is a bit different as we will be focusing on a major qualitative study (for assignments). Given that I don’t have much experience nor affinity towards qualitative work (grilling given to me by my RM guru). I am quite contempt cause its going to be a good grounding towards clinical school! Yay!

There were a zillion of new faces when I walked into school this term (well, not really a zillion, but you know what I am trying to get at). The apparent innocent look on most their faces is telling enough. I just cant wait to see them in a year from now. The looks on the 2nd year students is evidence enough that psych school is no play ground and that your face will be dragged through the dirt until you think you want to take that leap off that cliff… those of you who are new, and are reading this, and are telling your selves, “aww shiitt.. this fella crazy.. he’s just trying to scare me”.. well you are right… I am crazy, but I aint shitting you man… psych school is anything but “easy”. The reward after 4 years (or 3 for some lesser of you hawhaw) is worth every drop of blood.

I have given some thought about my bloggin style this year (part of the beautiful resolution that I made) and here is what you will get.

  1. “the person inside of me” articles that tries to ridicule my existence shall continue. Since people in general like to hear stories about what I am doing, and since when people ask me “so, how’s it going” I like to answer them (just to annoy them) read my blog haha, that particular section will stay.
  2. “focus on mental health”: this section will be utilized to highlight the many faces of mental health. I would try my best to bring you posts of the world of mental health from both the scientific, and personal perspectives. As much as I would like to “categorise” and explain mental health (and the many divisions) I would like to give the reader the opportunity to look at the world of people who are concerned about either the mental well being of themselves or the people they love.
  3. “Potty politics”: I dedicate this column/section to the wonderful people who make society living hell. This is my area to bitch unconditionally. if you are the kinda person who likes to hear gossip about others and how what they do bring misery to the people around, then do tune into “potty politics”
  4. “pictures”: I am guilty for not representing this beautiful country (Malaysia) with the amazing photo opportunities that it gives each day. Hence, I shall try my level best, to include a photograph of stuff that I see.

That’s all folks! Should you have ideas that you think you want to share with me (or money that you just want to give me), then hit a comment!

:) Astrorat…

7 comments:

Steph said...

I'm definitely looking forward to your new bloggin style ;) Sounds really interesting:)

astrorat said...

Hei Steph,

i too sure am looking forward to keeping to that format. And, its more an attempt to make meaning of what i am doing here than any thing else...

:) Astrorat

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Congrats on your last semester. You are going to be a great in the field!!!!!!!!!!

~Deb

astrorat said...

Dear Dr. D,

Its always a wonderful delight to hear the lovely encouraging words you have to say :) Thank you...

:)Astrorat

mythsn_legends said...

Last sem to go aye??? Keke, well.....i wish you the very very very best of luck on your last leg of your journey....will be ready with the party hats and whistles!!! ;)

Oh and I am looking forward to your 'upgraded' blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Serious question (so please no 'just to annoy' answers... and this time you can't tell me to 'go read the blog' ;p):

If you could go back and relive the last 4 years, what would you do differently, if anything? And why?

*k

astrorat said...

Dear K,

from the top of my head, if i could relive the last 4 years, i would change nothing! :) i love/ed every moment that passed by! Your comments gave me a great idea for a graduation post! :D thank you!

Astrorat...