Saturday, January 21, 2006

Do you believe in angels?

Ok, today’s post is different and has nothing to do with psychology. Perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn’t… it has to do with a life changing experience, that came upon me.

While typing this post, there was the music of Mariah Carey, there can be miracles when you believe, playing on the stereo, as a background. I am smiling because, everyone knows that I am atheist/agnostic (somewhere in between), and I have no way to justify, reasons for writing this long winded post on miracles. More specifically, about those responsible for making other peoples miracles work.

I would like to call the kind of people, who appear almost out of the blues, and makes the private unachievable dreams of other people a reality, an angel. The picture I choose to head this post, just like all other pictures, is from the internet. However, I would like to bring to attention that, this picture does not have a “religious” form. It is selfless, just like the people/person I would like to talk about. It is form less. The picture that I selected brightens up the text below it, just like the angels I am trying so hard to talk about.

I was looking at the lyrics of the song “in the arms of an angel” by Sarah Mclachlan and found the following line:

“Spend all your time waiting for that second chance
For the break that will make it ok
There's always some reason to feel not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction oh beautiful release
Memories seep from my veins
They may be empty and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight?"

And then, I am suddenly stuck for words to describe the immense personal nature of my realization, that angels don’t come from heaven. They are among us. They do not have wings, they do not pray to god for guidance (perhaps they do, but I don’t know). They don’t go about each day saying, I will save the world. They do not look different (perhaps they do). They are simply other people, who appear one day, and make miracles in your own life, possible.

In the movie the city of angels, “Maggie Rich” did not believe in angels (neither do I, at least not the kind with wings), but then, she fell in love with one (the movie tells us that this kind of angel comes from a mystical land that’s beyond my comprehension). But more importantly, the love that’s represented in the movie, demonstrates the self-less love that the people I describe, so frequently have. The genuine caring and loving nature of the people I call, an angel.

Some of you who know me personally may wonder why have I gone so soft in the middle (suddenly), and am describing to you concepts of love, angels, and miracles. Words that are not somehow not typically associated with me nor is synonymous with the ‘core’ of me. But, when you encounter and cross the path of a beautiful human being, who suddenly changes the next decade of your life, you do go soft in the middle.

No words can express the way if feel today. It’s a mixture of elated happiness, and an euphorically joyous mood. You could say that I am in “seventh heaven”. Perhaps the angels have taken me home? (if that makes sense to you). I could not really describe to you the over joyous state I am in. not right now any way. Perhaps as time passes by, I could make more sense of this experience and write better. But for now, making you understand does not matter to me. At this very moment, I continue to live.

To the angel who makes life truly beautiful (you are going to think I am a bit corny, but that’s cool). thank you… I love you for the beautiful person that you are…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see it as 'going soft in the middle'. I think it's about acknowledging an honest moment of beauty in life.

Am happy for your joy. =)

And here's something I stole from someone (can't cite ; no details...):

“When angels visit us, we do not hear the rustle of wings, nor feel the feathery touch of the breast of a dove; but we know their presence by the love they create in our hearts.”

;) *k

mythsn_legends said...

LOL....going soft in the middle....it is a side of you that comes out once in a blue moon ;)

I do agree with you....we don't have to look up to the skies to search for angels when they live among us ;)

Glad you found yours....

Anonymous said...

After spending no less than 45 minutes guessing the name of his angel, i am pleased to say his stand on human rights stands firm.

For that, i salut him...

For evoking some form of human-like emotions in this stone-cold "macho man" (as he so aptly puts it) - i salut you, his angel.

To be "christened" an "angel" by anybody - is an amazing honour... To be one who views life through the eyes of innocence and awe, wonder and hope - is to see life and living as it truly is... pure energy - neither positive nor negative - but whatever we take it to be...

I salut you for that innocence, and i salut you for being there for him. I salut you for staying true to that energy, and i salut you for being you.

Whoever you are, *wherever* you are, i thank you - it only takes one person to make a change - however small... So don't stop - keep going - cuz i'm sure as hell rootin' for ya.

;)

Tippy

Anonymous said...

some one is opening their heart to become a person that is full of grace, with the strength n courage that u have , it will lift u up from the place where u once were. dare to take the fall into the darkness as the road is alternate with blinding light of truth.

agnostics sometimes can become a mystical symbol themselves. =)

welcome to the world of love that u r creating for urself.

have a great day.

al.

franky said...

aww.. raam, that was really shweet! yeah, it is quite unlike you to post something like that..

whoever the "angel" is, must be a fantastic friend that i'm sure you will treasure for the rest of your life..

may this angel continue to encourage you when you need a lift =)

astrorat said...

Dear *K,

It indeed was a tremendous moment. A moment that i would want to hold on to, simply because it felt so beautiful! i love the stolen line! :D

Dear mythsn_legends,

I believe that we go though life encountering many such lovely people. It might be flawed to presume that we are all waiting for the "one"! hence, i am glad i met just one, doesn’t mean its "mine"!

Dear Tippy,

No guessing game, coercion, threat to physical or mental wellbeing will make me tell you who s/he is :D Where’s the sprit a little mystery? ;)

Dear al,

Agnostics perhaps may lack the biases that colour the world. I am being honest in saying that i had to read your comment 4 times (really slowly) before i could start to understand the depth in the meaning that it represents. Thank you so much, for those beautiful (and complex) lines :)

Dear Franky,

yes, dare to be "different" they say! ;)
i am not sure if this "angel" would really want to "baby-sit" me :) s/he has his/her moods too! LOL But, i totally agree with what you said, and hope that s/he sticks around to make life a little more colourful!

Steph said...

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but are felt in the heart" -Helen Keller-

Such big hearted your beautiful angel that s/he touches not just your heart but the hearts of many people who read this post, and mine.

The feeling of gratitute is very much overwhelming. I've known very few people with so much of struggles yet still able to stand strong and not fall..I've known very few who dream big and live big, and keep believing that someday, somewhere, somehow, that dream will come true. You are those few.

I thank you as your friend to this beautiful angel, for the faith s/he has in you and making this miracle happen.

I thank you for being you, for being strong, for dreaming big, for taking this opportunity in the best way you can, for feeling grateful and contented with this given opportunity, for not giving up hope so easily.

Hopefully along your path, you'll meet many more angels who will open more doors of opportunity to you, who will provide guidance to your every step or who are just by your side, to lend you their hands of support.

Steph said...

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but are felt in the heart" -Helen Keller-

Such big hearted your beautiful angel that s/he touches not just your heart but the hearts of many people who read this post, and mine.

The feeling of gratitute is very much overwhelming. I've known very few people with so much of struggles yet still able to stand strong and not fall..I've known very few who dream big and live big, and keep believing that someday, somewhere, somehow, that dream will come true. You are those few.

I thank you as your friend to this beautiful angel, for the faith s/he has in you and making this miracle happen.

I thank you for being you, for being strong, for dreaming big, for taking this opportunity in the best way you can, for feeling grateful and contented with this given opportunity, for not giving up hope so easily.

Hopefully along your path, you'll meet many more angels who will open more doors of opportunity to you, who will provide guidance to your every step or who are just by your side, to lend you their hands of support.