Thursday, January 26, 2006

This is my 50th post!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all my friends who made writing a truly magnificent experience. Your comments, emails, suggestions, reviews, scolding, visits, ideas, and inspiration is truly both treasured and appreciated.

Thank you all :)

“Memoirs of a Geisha” by Rob Marshall (the movie) seems intresting. I was introduced to the Geisha culture by my many Japanese friends who are now in every part of the world except, Japan! I read the book (same title) and was delighted by the insight.

But, I cant figure out why on earth is a Chinese actress playing the lead role of a Japanese!?!?!


I kid you not! It gets better, the lead actress Michelle Yeoh (oh.. how I had a huge crush on her when I was 20) is Malaysian!


I am happy that the rest of the cast comprised of a significant (no I have not done the stats on this one) number of “real” Japanese. But I find, it an insult to the “Geisha” and their culture, that the roles be played by anyone other than them! Hollywood demands I guess…


Oh well… should I watch the movie?

8 comments:

Alex said...

Wow 50 posts! Champagne is in order :)

Rocketry

astrorat said...

Dear Alex,

Great idea! Bring it on!!! :)

mythsn_legends said...

Wah..50th post!!! You actually keep track of it??? LOL....hip hip...hooray!!! *takes out party hats and balloons* :P

Yeah man, totally agree with you abt the casting of Geisha....I'm pretty sure that there are highly acclaimed Japanese actresses who can take on a role and do just as well (if not better) than the current one....(i can think of one now.....bet u know who is it too! keke)

Go watch lah and see how good/bad is it.... ;P

Dr. Deborah Serani said...

Congrats on your Golden post! Or what I like to call your blogversary.

I just got the book and can't wait to read it.

~Deb

Anonymous said...

Ooo, excellent! How are we celebrating this Wonderful Moment In Time? How about we celebrate the way ALL 50thposts-are-celebrated...with something sparkly and expensive for me? Hmm? What say you? ;)

Congrats, u. Now let me go read 1-49.. hehehe

*grin, k.

astrorat said...

Dear mythsn_legends,
I don’t usually have to count/keep track. Blogger does it for me. Check your dash board. Oh yes, i could think of an actress too.. its no secret that i am absolutely smitten by Koyuki! *grinz*

Dear Deb,
I have had fun blogging so far thanks to the wonderful comments from people like yourself. enjoy the book! :D

Dear *k,
Were you talking about getting me a gift, or is my eyesight getting poor? you must have been talking about me ;)
Lets make a deal, I will get you that “expensive” gift, once you start blogging and reach your 50! ;)

chase said...

i too wondered why they didn't use a japanese actress...i was also perturbed by the blue eyes on the geisha as well. is there even such a thing? a blue eyed geisha?

congrats on your 50th post :)

astrorat said...

Dear Chase,

i am guessing that beautiful blue eyes is part of the "ideal beauty" of the director rather than a part of reality. I cant remember if the book made any reference to it. Perhaps it just sounds good to most western movie fans (i.e. a blue eyes geisha) but, doubt that its a norm in Japan (i am no expert in cultural genetics and am speculating)

:) Astrorat